Monday, September 10, 2012

One pinner said, "They would have been great, if they didn't look like poop!"

Why, oh why do I go on Pinterest and think for one minute that I could be creative, cute and crafty?  Please, someone remind me next time I get any brilliant ideas that I should stick to things like casseroles and crock pot recipes where you just dump stuff in and walk away.  I am a dump-stuff-in-and-walk-away kind of chef.  Too many steps and I've lost interest.

Roy's football themed birthday party inspired me to search for cake ideas.  I should have stopped with the football field cake.  Before it slid all over the front seat of the car on the way to the park, it looked pretty good.



Roy liked it, despite my wavy lines, and weird-shaped Patriot, and the fact that I didn't know that the "5" should have been on one side of the 50 yard line and the "0" on the other.  A true Nebraskan woman would know that.  Sometimes I inadvertently out myself as a geek from the Northeast.  Whatever.  I did my best.

But then I saw those adorable football cake pops in Pinterest and I just had to make them.  

Look, here they are....



Aren't they cute?  Don't you think they would have looked awesome sticking out of my football field creation?  Yeah, me too.

So I've never actually made cake pops before and the blogger made it seem so easy to make them.  Here's the recipe: http://bakedwithloveandbutter.blogspot.com/2010/02/football-cake-pops.html

I just jumped right in with the squishing and making little footballs.  I should have known they were not turning out like the picture when Bo, who was so thrilled to be helping, said, "Um, these look like turds."  I chalked it up to him possibly not wanting to be making cake pops on a Friday night.  I mean, even the best husband in the world has his limits.

In the fridge they went to prepare for an early morning chocolate dipping.  I hit the hay, confident that our misshapen lumps would magically transform into the best football cake pops so that I could one day start my own little Miss Betty Crocker blog about all the great stuff I make for my adoring kids.

In the morning, Rex opened the refrigerator and asked, "Mom, why are you keeping poop in the fridge?"

Apparently our fridge does not work magic and I will not be starting said blog.

Undaunted, I persevered, even though half of the "footballs" fell off their sticks and the rest maintained their irregular shapes.  They turned out like this:



Don't laugh.  I spent a lot of time on those, but maybe not quite enough time...I'm not really sure what went wrong.  They tasted really great once you got over their fecal-like appearance.

The good news is that the party was a hit, even though the cake pops were an "epic fail."  (Those are Roy's words.)


Happy Birthday Roy!

No comments: