Monday, April 30, 2012

Books Worth Reading: The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin


This is the quote that convinced me to read this book, "...for both men and women...the most reliable predictor of not being lonely is the amount of contact with women.  Time spent with men doesn't make a difference."  I guess my inner sociologist was awakened again and needed to be fed.  

Gretchen Rubin goes on a year-long quest to increase her own personal happiness.  The systematic way she does it seems like the last thing that would work, but at the end she claims that it did.  It's her story, I'm not going to argue.  In fact, it makes me want to try my own happiness project, which she highly encourages and has a website devoted to here

Each month, Gretchen chooses an area of her life she would like to improve starting with health and including marriage, kids, work, finances and friendship.  Coupled with research and anecdotes about personal achievements and failures in each area, Gretchen highlights specific goals she worked toward that month.  It's kind of like a New Year's Resolution on steroids.  

This was a great book to read three months in to the New Year when those hastily promised resolutions are not seeming so attainable.  It's a good reminder that growth takes time and that happiness in life often comes as a result of the things we do every day rather than a one-time burst of emotion.  

If anyone wants to do a happiness project with me we can start a group.  I have a non-milestone birthday coming up that could warrant a recommitment to some goals and dreams that I have yet to reach.  

No comments: